Kaede Fuyou (芙蓉 楓 Fuyō Kaede), nicknamed Kae-chan, is Rin Tsuchimi's childhood best friend whom have been living under the same roof ever since Momiji Fuyou (Kaede's mother) passed away in the same accident that took away the lives of Rin's parents.
Kaede is a beautiful young woman who embodies the season of Autumn with shoulder-length bright orange just like autumn leaves, sky blue eyes, a slender/petite build, and delicate facial features that gives her a fairy-like appearance.
Kaede’s most commonly seen attire is her uniform, but she changes her wardrobe throughout the series.
Kaede is a very modest, polite, and a soft-spoken young lady who is clear-headed, has attractive looks, and is excellent at housework. However, she frequently prioritizes Rin Tsuchimi to the point that she neglects herself. At times like this, she is seen shown to have severe mental distress and acts violently when a great shock upsets her.
She has the classic signs of a yandere and where her eyes become soulless, and her normally gentle face becomes hostile and menacing whenever she is in that mode.
She treated Rin like horribly after their parents' accident. She was very violent and mentally distressing to Rin in general because she blamed him for the accident. Kaede has gone as far as dropping a sharp object in his eye from a stairwell. She didn't consider that Rin was also in grief; he lost BOTH his parents while she only lost her mother.
While looking through Rin's room one day, Kaede found a postcard from their parents when they were away and realizes that they were coming back earlier because she was sick. Rin knew this but didn't want to tell Kaede because he knew it would hurt her. With this new-found knowledge, she talks to her father and finally comes clean and tells her the truth. Now understanding how bad she was treating Rin, Kaede joins the cooking club with Asa in middle school to be a better cook and taking care of him.
To atone for her actions in the past, in which she mistreated Rin, Kaede decides to make herself Rin's slave by cooking his meals and doing all the work around the house. Rin does not want this, but he is afraid of causing Kaede a relapse by not allowing her to punish herself in this way.
In the anime, she also exhibits violent yandere behavior when Rin continuously blew off, hanging out with her to get closer to Asa. After Asa and Rin returned from a date, Kaede lost it. She slammed Asa against a wall, which resulted in Asa having a heart attack and being hospitalized.
Kaede is shown to have romantic feelings for Rin but considers herself unworthy to be loved by Rin or to stay by Rin's side. However, though it is not romance, Rin cares deeply about her. Although she has come to terms with her own feelings, she continues to love Rin and declares this in the last episode.
- Rin Tsuchimi: Her love interest and childhood friend who is also a classmate of his at Verbena Academy.
- Mikio Fuyou: Her father and caregiver who is usually away on business. He is the one to finally end the suffering between Rin and Kaede.
- Momiji Fuyou: Her deceased mother who she loved very much. She wasn't the same after her mother's passing and took the aggression out on Rin.
- Asa Shigure: Her senior friend. They met in a cooking club in middle school when Kaede joined to learn how to cook for Rin. The two appear to be close friends since. However, in the anime, Kaede snaps and attacks Asa when she spends too much time with Rin. Afterward, she apologizes, feeling terrible about hospitalizing her, and realizing she couldn't control Rin's actions, and Asa accepted her friend back.
- Primula: Close friend and housemate. Their relationship resembles that of siblings. Primula wore Kaede's middle school clothes when she first arrived in the Human World, and the two are often seen spending time together. Primula saw firsthand how Kaede slowly began to change after Rin started hanging out with Asa.
- Lisianthus: Her friend, the two share an accidental kiss in the ending credits of episode 25.
- "I love you...please don't leave me..."
- "Rin-kun, good morning."
- *(shouting at a young Rin)* "A person like you...MUST DIE NOW!!"
- The name Kaede means "maple" (楓).
- Kaede's surname Fuyou means "lotus, Mt. Fuji" (芙) (fu) and "lotus" (蓉) (you).
- Kaede is the only character in the Shuffle! series to show tropes of a Yandere, with a violent streak.
- She is notable for being one of the first yandere in mainstream anime.
- All the erogenous scenes inside Kaede's Memories world (Really? Really!) are driven by Kaede's insecurity about whether Rin Tsuchimi will fall in love with one of the other girls and abandon her. Asa seems to be her biggest worry, as evidenced by a proportionally larger amount of her erotic scenes than others.
- Sakura Yae is the second contender.
|Introduced in Shuffle!||Rin Tsuchimi · Kaede Fuyou · Asa Shigure · Lisianthus · Nerine · Primula · Mayumi Thyme · Itsuki Midoriba · Nadeshiko Benibara · King of Devils · King of Gods · Ama Shigure · Kareha · Kikyou · Lycoris|
|Introduced in Shuffle! Essence+||Daisy · Erica Suzuran · Ruri Matsuri · Sakura Yae · Tsubomi|
|Introduced in Tick! Tack!||Ai · Bark · Cineraria · Sage|
|Introduced in Really? Really!||Mikio Fuyou · Momiji Fuyou|
|Introduced in Shuffle! Episode 2||Raito Aioi · Kohaku Anjou · Kirara Kinoshita · Lithia · Nelia · Limes · Kunzite · Chalcedony · Torajirou Jinbo · Citrine · Obsius Marine · Menou Ishitake · Fluora · Alexander|
|Introduced in Anime||Masato · Masato's mom · Military Ohshita · Nakabayashi 1 · Nakabayashi 2 · Nakabayashi 3 · Takizawa · Two-Wheeler Yamaguchi|